Tuesday, August 3, 2010

the update

I started this blog on my 30th birthday for several reasons. The first was that I needed an outlet to document my journey into manhood, which honestly I didn't think I would be able to keep up with. Secondly, I knew I needed a way to express myself in a way that was honest and pure...pretty much what you see is what you get with me and I have so much built up inside that sometimes words are the only way to express them. Third and last is to prevent the bottling up that I tend to do frequently. With the last one I can proudly say I haven't bottled anything up since I've started it. All three reasons have kept me pretty sane on this magical journey of 30 and I'm glad that I've started The Lazy Perfectionist.

To the readers: Thank you for reading. I honestly didn't, don't, expect anyone to read this. There is so much out there in the world that is interesting and so much that you could learn from. My hope is that if you do read this then you have hopefully learned something about honesty and expressing how you feel even when you don't want to. I'm huge into self empowerment, you can do it because the power is in you, and I hope that all of my writing is infused with the feelings that you can.

My update for 30 is just grand. I know that I'm a pretty happy guy all around, and even if I wasn't where I am now I would still be joyous in the things that I've achieved. It's humbling beyond words to realize that things are great and I've reached a spot where I can truly and honestly say that I feel whole and complete. My wish is that everyone can reach this zen state and live happily, but I know that it takes self awareness and only they can say when zen has entered into them.

Here's a picture update of the zen in my life. 5 major things that have changed me for the better:
Muffin - I got Muffin 4 years ago because I wanted a dog, and I was trying to replace one that I loved who ran away a year before (that should have been a hint). I wasn't ready for this dog, she was as hyper as I was (even more so) and she still is to this day. This is my patience tester...she day in and day out wears on me and pushes me to the brink. I have this silly little goal of breaking her and making her a good dog. Funny thing is that she is a good dog and she's the one who broke me. Major thing number 1 - teaching me patience.


Beyonce - Most of you know the story of Beyonce, she was running loose in an oilfield in Calumet where my bosses husband brought her home to me. She was raggedy and a mess. But I cleaned her up and gave her a home and she has been the best dog that I could have ever gotten. She taught me what true thankfulness is. Every day I can see in her one blue and one brown eye (creepy I know) how happy she is that she has a home and a steady meal and water and love to call her own. She will always be a reminder that if I can provide to those less fortunate I will do my best to do so.


My house - Casa de la Summers. Of all of the homes that I've lived in over the many brief periods through life this one is truly home. And I've lived in a lot of homes...a whole lot of homes. From a box to a house, it's like a rags to riches story for me, granted it wasn't a homeless cardboard box but you get the idea. This was the first transition that made me realize that I wasn't a kid anymore.


Bianca - I know I know get off the car already. I'll keep it brief - she is proof that you don't have to settle for something that will break down frequently leaving you stranded. She is proof that hard work does pay off and you can get what you want in the end.


Me - I saw a friend the other night when I was working at the bar. She came up to me and didn't asked how I was because she could see it on my face. She said, "Jason, you look great, you look happy, I can tell that things are going well for you and I am happy for you". Working at the bar has helped bring me out of my shell, it's taught me to talk to strangers where once that was taboo to me. It's taught me to own who I am and be confident in what I do, if I lost confidence then the bar would be a wreck!
I add me to the list because I've been working on myself for years as well, I'd been searching for the zen in life and I believe that I am on the cusp of finding it. I know I have a ways to go and I know that it will be a long road before I'm fully there, but I also know that I've made strides to get here. I will use my words to fight the wrong in the world and to bring awareness to those unaware. I will use my smile to disarm the angry and soothe the hurting. I will use my time to work for good. I will be the best me that I can be, because it's the only way that I can be. (didn't mean for that to rhyme) :)

Now if only I can learn to open my eyes in pictures so I don't look like I'm stoned all the time...that would be great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment