Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Death’s Change

My brother-in-law’s father passed away. He was a nice guy, a bit strange, and had medical problems for years. Sadly, I didn’t really know him.

It leads me to wonder how much do you really know anyone in life. You can spend countless hours with one person every day for weeks or months, but the moment you leave their side that person can and does change. The choices they make along the way affect who they are in life. Whether for the better or not is up in the air until you see them again.

Change is inevitable. Change is how you grow as a person and how you become a better individual. It’s understanding the things that make you change, and ultimately accepting those things, that help you make your transformation. How can anyone really fight change?

Life is the ultimate catalyst in forcing you to accept change as a whole. We are constantly bombarded with negative news and horrible occurrences wrought by fellow man. We encounter devastation and destruction at every turn. Death. Birth. Life. It’s all in the circle of continuation where each individual is faced with challenges to overcome.

Those challenges become who you are. Every minute of every day shapes you. Learning to embrace every minute allows you to accept the changes in yourself. With death comes life. With death comes understanding.

I’m sad for my brother-in-law, I can only imagine the struggles that he must now endure along his path. I know that this moment has changed him and I can only hope that it will change him for the better. My change comes with the knowledge that I love and support him. And should he choose me to unleash his grief, then I welcome it with open arms and an open heart.

Ultimately death changes everyone. It might have a stronger impact in the moment for those involved. But in the end life wins out. Learning to accept that change as it happens can lead to a happier life in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment